As part of the health changes my family has been making this past year…we decided to start the Paleo Diet. Basically it is more of a lifestyle change and way of thinking than just a simple fad “diet”. Since my husband started in March, he’s lost around 15-20 lbs! And I’ve lost 5 just by switching to Paleo, and I’m not even trying! Anyway, I’ll write more later about our full Paleo switch later.
Anyway….this past weekend, I was able to score 3 HUGE heads of organic cabbage from a fellow Freecycle member! It was AWESOME! I just went to her house and was able to pick up the cabbage as well as other organic vegetables. I was SUPER excited that I didn’t need to go shopping this week thanks to this generous lady.
Thing is…my family doesn’t eat a lot of cabbage, short of the traditional corned beef & cabbage dish during the month of March. So my mission this week was to find a new cabbage recipe that fit into our new Paleo diet.
I wasn’t in the mood to make cabbage rolls, so I turned to my iPad apps…yup you heard it right…Apps again 🙂 Told you I love apps!
Anyway, I found an awesome super simple Emergency Protein with Curry & Cabbage recipe from the Nom Nom Paleo™ app for the iPad to try my new cabbage produce. The great thing about this recipe is that you can use any protein or vegetable you have on hand…it doesn’t have to be beef and cabbage…this is just what I looked for specifically. We tried the curry version, and my family wasn’t too fond of it, yet somehow there are no leftovers…hmmm….so I switched it up for the second batch I made last night. I used cumin instead – we LOVE cumin. Great spice that adds a bit of kick to any savory dish.
The cumin version was a hit!
Here’s my version of the recipe…
Cumin Beef & Cabbage Stir-Fry
Makes: 4 servings
Hand-On Time: 15 min.
Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 pound ground beef (or whatever meat you have available)
- 1 tablespoon organic grass-fed butter (or your fat of choice, like Ghee)
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed (I added this)
- 3 teaspoons of cumin (original recipe calls for 2 teaspoons of curry power or seasoning of choice…we love cumin so I added extra)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 small cabbage, roughly chopped (or 2 cups of whatever bite-sized fresh or frozen vegetables you have on hand)
- Juice from 1/2 lime or splash of vinegar (optional – actually forgot this one, but it didn’t affect my final dish)
- 12-inch cast iron skillet with lid
- Citrus juice (optional if you are adding the lime juice)
- Heat butter (or fat of choice) in a large cast iron skillet.
- Cook the onions until they’re soft and translucent.
- Cook the minced garlic with onions until fragrant.
- Add the ground meat to the onions & garlic in the skillet.
- Break it up with a wooden spoon to incorporate onion & garlic.
- Stir fry meat until pink is gone.
- Incorporate cumin seasoning to the meat mixture, and season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Throw in the chopped cabbage and mix with meat.
- Cover and cook for 2 minutes or until the cabbage softens.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings as desired.
- (Optional) Add lime juice when you’re ready to serve.
- Serve up and Enjoy!
This recipe can be modified in so many ways! You just need a meat and vegetable source and you’re set! Cater it to your family’s tastes and preferences. Just make sure you taste it while you’re cooking and adjust the seasoning when it suits your taste.
Feel free to comment on what you thought of the recipe! Or what changes you made to make it your own.
Click here for the original Nom Nom Paleo online version of this recipe, in case you don’t own an iPad. 🙂
Thanks Michelle for the inspiration!